OK finally Adobe has decided to release Flash Player 9 in Beta Form for Linux. I’ve decided to throw together a quick how to on how to install it on Ubuntu Edgy. This should hold true however for most flavours of Ubuntu as well.
- Open Synaptic Package manager
- Click on the search button and type “Flash”
- Click the box beside any of the currently installed flash-plugins, this should be flashplugin-nonfree, and select for a complete removal
- Now click apply and let Synaptic remove the package
- We are now ready to download and install the flashplayer 9 plugin
- Point your browser to “http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer9.html”, and select the “Download Installer for Linux” link. Remember where you save this file because we’ll need it next. Close down your browser when you are done since we don’t want it open while we install the plugin
- Open your favourite terminal and navigate to the directory which you saved the plugin, and execute the following command:
- You will now have a directory called flash-player-plugin-18.104.22.168.55 or something similar, navigate to this directory
- You will now need to copy the library “libflashplayerplugin.so” to “/usr/lib/firefox/plugins/”, execute the following command:
- Navigate to your favourite flash enabled website and enjoy having the latest and greatest flash player.
tar -vxzf FP9_plugin_beta_101806.tar.gz
sudo cp libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/
I hope this helps, please post if you have any problems or further questions. I hope this helps everyone out.
Download the deb and install it